Setting Your Nutrition and Running Goals 2023
Introducing you to some reasons WHY setting goals is important in creating change.
We believe it is best to start by thinking about your TOP desire or achievement for 2023.
Is it linked to your:
Running goals – for example: attaining a PB, entering an iconic race, becoming a trail runner
Nutrition goals – for example: fuelling effectively for training and races, following a ‘real food’ plan CONSISTENTLY
Outlining how setting goals could be helpful to you in achieving your 2023 nutrition and running goals. Goal setting may:
- Provide short-term motivation for your long-term vision or goal
- Guide your focus and keep you on track
- Create accountability to yourself but also to others if you choose to share your aspirations
The SMART approach to goal setting is well-recognised and helps individuals ACHIEVE! We introduce you to this SMART concept:
Specific – what is it you want to achieve? For Example: distance, time (BP), run an iconic race
Measurable – how will you monitor your progress?
Achievable – in the time frame you have
Realistic – what could get in the way? For Example: work, family
Timely – when do you want to achieve it by?
Telling the BIG ROCK story and then explaining what the BIG ROCKS, PEBBLES, and SAND represent in life:
BIG ROCKS – guiding principles, the non-negotiable goals. For example: a balanced plate at each meal
PEBBLES – things that matter in life but that you could live without such as daily habits and choices you make. For example: watching TV, going to the cinema
SAND – they tend to be less important. They are the ‘fillers’ or mundane tasks that can get in the way of achieving the BIG ROCKS. For example: doing the housework, admin tasks, doing the ironing
If you spend too much time on the sand tasks then CHANGE WON’T HAPPEN!!
Considering how the BIG ROCKS theory could be implemented to support you in achieving YOUR goals. You may just have one BIG ROCK or you may have several you would like to focus on. We outline some questions to ask yourself including:
- What do I currently spend most of my time on?
- What are the TOP 3 things I would like to improve upon regarding performance, fitness, health, nutrition?
- Out of those TOP 3 things – what is the ONE most important thing I desire?
- What BIG ROCK (s) would help me achieve that ONE THING?
- What would I need to change to put that BIG ROCK into place?
REMEMBER, you may need to ditch some pebbles or sand to find space for the BIG ROCK!
Encouraging you to determine WHY you want to achieve a particular goal. Once you have determined the WHY then:
- Make a commitment to yourself
- Plan, schedule and practice – almost becoming a RITUAL
- Remember it is non-negotiable! Your boundaries around your BIG ROCK are unshakable
- REFLECT after a period of time to determine if the ROCK is serving you
- Continue or change your BIG ROCK
- Consider WHAT the ROCKS, PEBBLES AND SAND are in your life
- Take a little bit of time to write them down and see what comes up for you!!
- Reflect on what you have written
- Only when you are ready, then begin to PLAN the change you want to happen!!