Probably most of us have experienced an injury at some point!! And when you have been injured…and then recovered….you just don’t want to go there again!! because it is frustrating and debilitating…and painful of course!! AND more often than not, it takes you away from your running for a period of time, which means that you have to go “back to the beginning” when returning to training.
Most of us will have heard the phrase “Prevention is better than cure” So, if you have been injured in the past and want to limit the risk of getting injured again…or maybe you haven’t ever been injured and want to optimise your food plan so it doesn’t ever happen…listen in because we will be chatting about:
- What you need to think about when considering a food plan to support injury prevention
- Our suggestions for meals and snacks to help prevent injury
- A one-day meal plan for you to introduce to your food plan to get you started
Is there anything we can do to improve your experience of She Runs Eats Performs?
Introducing the fundamental food and dietary considerations when thinking about injury prevention including the Mediterranean Diet (MD). Outlining what it contains and what it omits to support health and wellbeing
Outlining some additional dietary fundamentals to consider to help prevent a running injury occurring including:
Eating strategically (food timing)
Appropriate Eating – not too much and not too little
Introducing the KEY nutrients required to help prevent a running injury occurring including:
Carbohydrate – as the principal nutrient for energy production
Protein – to maintain muscle mass and support muscle repair, recovery and remodelling from training
Fats – the essential fats for their anti-inflammatory properties
Calcium – in tandem with Vit D for promoting bone health and bone formation therefore potentially reducing the risk of stress fracture
Magnesium – for muscle relaxation, thus helping prevent muscle tightness, muscle spasms and cramping, which can be painful and lead to a more prolonged injury
Giving some of our breakfast and lunch ideas to help prevent injury including:
- A juice or smoothie with added ginger or turmeric
- Overnight oats with berries, nuts, and seeds, and Kefir
- Chicken broth (bone broth) on its own or add to other ingredients to make a heartier soup
- Rainbow salad (Poké or Buddha Bowl) containing lots and lots of different colourful salad vegetables accompanied with some brown rice and a salmon fillet, chicken, mackerel or sardines
Giving some of our dinner and snack ideas to help prevent injury including:
- Stir fry containing vegetables and a protein source. Serve with brown rice noodles or some steamed brown rice and a leafy green salad on the side
- Mixed vegetable omelette or a vegetable frittata and serve with a mixed salad
- Dark chocolate
- Cottage cheese or hummus with vegetable sticks or one to two oatcakes
Outlining a one-day meal plan to help prevent a running injury:
Breakfast – Berries with kefir topped with nuts and seeds
Lunch – Bone broth soup with added vegetables and chicken
Dinner – Stir fry with tempeh and brown rice noodles
Snacks – Morning: seaweed wafers. Afternoon: handful of nuts
Consider introducing that Mediterranean Diet approach to eating into your meal plan REGULARLY. Try adapting one of your meals initially and then, over time, convert your other meals so they too follow the Mediterranean approach.
Introducing the MD to your food plan could support your health, wellbeing and your running goals in many ways, not just in injury prevention if introduced CONSISTENTLY.
The suggestions we make during this episode are for guidance and advice only, and are not a substitute for medical advice or treatment. If you have any concerns regarding your health, please contact your healthcare professional for advice as soon as possible.
Also, when you’re ready, here are FIVE ways that we can help you:
2) Join Easy Nutrition For Healthy Runners HUB. Please join our FREE private facebook group for education, tips, inspiration with like- minded female runners.
3) Get our Easy Nutrition For Healthy Runners Online Programme. As a THANK YOU, please use COUPON CODE POD to get 33% discount off the full price which brings the price to £199.
4)Find out if you are the right fit for our Healthy Woman Healthy Runner Programme. Please book a free Discovery Call.
5) If you love our FREE stuff but need more help and would like to find out which of our services would be best for you. We’d love to have a short informal (no obligation) chat to see how we can help you. Book a free call here.
We love to hear from our listeners – what are your nutrition and running goals, challenges and successes, please drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Best Wishes and Happy Running!
Karen and Aileen