Great North Run: Nutrition Foundations
This is if for … if you’re a first-time half marathon runner and the GNR is your first one OR if you are an experienced half marathon runner but perhaps haven’t focussed on nutrition before now.
All the tips and advice we share will support you with any half marathon even if you’re not in the GNR .
It’s important because …. You’ll learn easy to put into place strategically timed nutrition tips and advice at every stage of your training plan.
It’ll help runners to … be “GNR Ready” over the next 16 weeks – and that time frame will pass quickly. We want you to be fit and fuelled for race day. You’ll want to be in peak condition so you can prepare well, enjoy the race and the recovery phase too!
Today we are covering:
· Planning Your Training
· Checking on Nutrition Foundations
· The importance of a Rest Day
· Dealing with niggly pains
· Tuning into your BIG WHY for motivation
Who this series is for and why it is important and how it might help any Great North Runners (or any half marathon runners) and what we’ll cover over the series.
RUN TRAINING MILESTONES: planning your training over next 16 weeks. Check out what ASICS say about half marathon training https://runkeeper.com/cms/blog/app/
NUTRITION MILESTONES: checking in on your nutrition foundations and every day hydration.
If you need extra help register for our EASY NUTRITION FOR HEALTHY RUNNERS PROGRAMME (use COUPON CODE RACE to get programme for £97, includes a 30 minute diary review plus weekly zoom coaching circle every Thursday so you may ask questions. Find out more here https://runnershealthhub.com/easy-nutrition-for-healthy-runners/
REST AND RECOVERY RITUALS: the importance of a rest day and active recovery.
INJURY HEALING AND RECOVERY TIPS: being aware of niggly aches, pains and muscle tightness and the first steps to addressing them.
MINDSET MOJO: Your Big WHY!
GREAT NORTH RUN FUN AND FACTOIDS
Key Take Aways from this episode
1. Get your training plan mapped out to include one long run every week building your mileage and duration of time so you’re fully prepared. Add in another 2 or 3 shorter runs each week alongside some active recovery days and 1 full rest day each week.
2. Focus on our tips for optimising your everyday healthy nutrition foundations including
· Eating regularly
· Eating Protein at every meal
· Having a balanced plate at every meal – we suggest ¼ plate protein, ¼ plate complex carbohydrates
· Including Healthy nutrient dense snack which combines protein and carbohydrate if required
· Minimise junk and processed foods
· Practice drinking whilst running
3. Don’t ignore aches and pains and muscle tightness – consult with your physio or sports massage therapist and check out if your running shoes are fit for purpose.
4. Get your mindset mojo fired up by tuning into your BIG WHY!
Our next episode in this series is Episode 101 will be published on 16th June (12 weeks until GNR) and we’ll be talking about:
· Planning what you should eat in relationship to the time of day you are running and beginning to practice pre and post fuelling
· Sticking to your training plan and why consistency is key
The suggestions we make during this episode are for guidance and
advice only, and are not a substitute for medical advice or treatment.
If you have any concerns regarding your health, please contact
your healthcare professional for advice as soon as possible.
Aileen Smith and Karen Campbell host RUNNERS HEALTH HUB. A place for like-minded female runners who are looking for simple ways to support running performance, energy, endurance, and general great health.
if this is your first time your show and you’d like to know more about us and She Runs Eats Performs please check out our TRAILER.
If you’re ready to make learn more about how you may introduce easy nutrition into your running and training plan join our Easy Nutrition For Healthy Runners Online Programme for short videos, recipes, downloads and LIVE training and Q&A.
As a THANK YOU to you as one of our valued listeners, we have a special offer for you use COUPON CODE RACE to get £200 discount off the full price which brings the price to £97.
If you’d like help from Karen and Aileen to design a personalised sports nutrition plan for your running – please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Aileen and Karen