Great North Run Nutrition Milestones: Practice During & Post Run Fuelling
This is our third episode on our Great North Run Nutrition Milestone Series in this episode we’ll be following our usual format building upon advice from earlier episodes
· Run Training Milestones – suggestions on where you should be in your run training to keep you on track
· Nutrition Milestones – we’ll talk about how to start practicing during and post fuelling for training runs (and we’ll have a reminder about hydration and electrolytes)
· Rest and Recovery Rituals – we are going to talk about sleep?
· Injury Healing and Recovery Tips – today our focus is on soft tissue injuries
· Mind Set MOJO – building mental resilience to help you cope with the tough spots during training and the race
· We’ll round up with some GNR fun and factoids
RUN TRAINING MILESTONES: Some suggestions on where you should be on your run training plan and the benefits of adding in some 10k races to your calendar plus the challenges you may face at this point in your training.
NUTRITION MILESTONES: Why we need to fuel during an endurance run, some foods to consider and how often to eat during an endurance run.
The importance and benefits of practicing eating/fuelling during training runs plus some practice tips.
Why we suggest real foods for during run fuelling rather than gels?
Our top 2 Post Run Fuelling tips.
Hydration and Electrolytes
REST AND RECOVERY RITUALS: the performance triangle and how good quality sleep is as vital training and nutrition to optimal running performance.
INJURY HEALING AND RECOVERY TIPS: Nutritional support for soft tissue injuries and the 3 phases of healing involved.
MNDEST MOJO: How to support your mindset when things don’t go to plan like when an injury or any life event gets in the way of your training and ultimately your running goal ….
GREAT NORTH RUN FUN AND FACTOIDS: recollections of famous athletes and celebrities who are in the Great North Run Hall of Fame.
KEY TAKE AWAYS
1. RUN TRAINING – we are 9 weeks away from race day, your run distances and durations should be increasing week on week and by the time we get together in 4 weeks ideally you’ll be running an 18k long run once a week.
2. NUTRITION MILESTONES – now is the time to start practicing eating during and post run training.
· Eat Quick Release Carbohydrates during run training session, build up gradually to between 30 and 60g of CHO per hour.
· Post Run have a Quick Release CHO food within 30 minutes of completing your run
· Have a snack or meal combination of complex carbohydrates and protein within 2 hours of the end of your run training at the ratio of 4:1 CHO:PRO
3. Remember to adapt/adjust your hydration intake in relationship to the weather and your sweat rate.
4. Sleep is a vital part of rest and recovery. Sleep deprivation may affect running performance. Remember to give equal priority to all 3 aspects of the Performance triangle – that is Training – Nutrition – Rest (including sleep).
5. If you experience any type of Soft Tissue Injury – please consult with your physio or sports therapist and remember you may support healing and recovery with specific nutrients used therapeutically.
We hope that’s been a helpful episode today, next time we’ll be talking about Fine tuning your Nutrition and Lifestyle in the lead up to RACE DAY. That’ll be Episode 107 on 4th August– 5 weeks until race day! Until then enjoy your running!
RESOURCES and Recommendations:
Body Bio Our TOP favourite is … E-Lyte Balanced Electrolyte Concentrate. E-Lyte mimics electrolyte levels in the body for optimal hydration. If you’d like to give BODYBIO a try use our special discount code RHH10-A
Meglio if you’re considering buying a foam roller, we’d suggest you look at www.mymeglio.com
As they have very kindly offered a 10% discount for you – just use COUPON CODE RHH10 at the checkout.
YOUR ZOOKI For Turmeric and Collagen – helpful for soft tissue injury healing. If you’d like to give YOUR ZOOKI a try use our special discount code – RUNNERSHEALTHHUB20. When added at checkout, this discount code will provide you and your friends and family with 20% off the entire Zooki range, including bundles and subscriptions.
Disclaimer: Warning. Supplements should be taken under the guidance of a doctor or nutritional therapist, taking different supplements together could result in too-high doses of common ingredients, and anyone taking prescription medication should inform their GP/Doctor before taking supplements of any kind. Is it safe to take supplements whilst I’m on medication? Some nutrients in supplements may interact with specific medications. To ensure that any supplements are safe for you we recommend you consult with your medical or nutritional practitioner when considering nutritional supplements.
If you would like to consult with a Karen or Aileen (Nutritional Therapy Practitioners) for a supplement review please book here
The suggestions we make during this episode are for guidance and
advice only, and are not a substitute for medical advice or treatment.
If you have any concerns regarding your health, please contact
your healthcare professional for advice as soon as possible.
Aileen Smith and Karen Campbell host RUNNERS HEALTH HUB. A place for like-minded female runners who are looking for simple ways to support running performance, energy, endurance, and general great health.
if this is your first time your show and you’d like to know more about us and She Runs Eats Performs please check out our TRAILER.
If you’re ready to make learn more about how you may introduce easy nutrition into your running and training plan join our Easy Nutrition For Healthy Runners Online Programme for short videos, recipes, downloads and LIVE training and Q&A.
As a THANK YOU to you as one of our valued listeners, we have a special offer for you use COUPON CODE RACE to get £200 discount off the full price which brings the price to £97.
If you’d like help from Karen and Aileen to design a personalised sports nutrition plan for your running – please contact us at email@example.com
Aileen and Karen